7 Best Boots for Elk Hunting
For successful hunting, a hunter requires more than experience, patience, and the right weapon. What you are wearing on your feet will play a big role during hunting because, more often, you have to cover miles of sloppy and hazardous environments. If your footwear is not suitable for the challenge, you will find yourself quitting and going back to your vehicle or worse, camp to warm and dry your feet.
Every elk hunter must agree that this type of hunting requires a lot of focus that can be interfered with by wearing the wrong shoes. It becomes challenging to concentrate when your feet feel hot, cold, or sore after travelling on uneven soil surfaces, side-hilling, or many ups and downs. The boots you wear can be the source of success or failure, as it is not practical to get rid of them when your feet are overheating or are in great pain.
What boots should I wear? It is a common question among hunters because they understand that its not their sunglasses or rifle that carries them through swamps, over hills and dale, and across rivers. However, finding the best hunting boots is not easier as many hunters think due to the confusion resulting from the sheer number of boots available on the market. This guide will consider only the top hunting boots to make your shopping easier.
Without the best equipment, hunting in freezing weather cannot be fun. Instead, it cannot be veryencouraging. This hunting boot was introduced specifically for cold weather hunting. Apart from it being a lightweight gear, it also has a cool design that differentiates it from similar products.
This boot gives you extra comfort and support while hunting as it is made of high quality, water-resistant rubber and a midsole made of EVA. Also, the outsole is made of MS-1material and a stong base needed for walking on harsh surfaces. The boot’s upper side is made of a sturdy Neoprene design and a calf area strap that protect your feet from cold.
- It is made of a rubber sole for more comfort
- Features the 5mm neoprene that provides flexibility and comfort
- The 5mm neoprene offers shock absorption, waterproof and heat retention
- Easily adjustable to the shape of your feet to prevent chafing and blisters
- It has a soft and durable fleece lining for exceptionalwarmth
- The exterior is made of high-grade rubber that provides extra toughness
- The high-grade rubber makes it 100% waterproof
- EVA contoured and moulded mind sole provide lightweight cushioning
- Has a stretch fit comfort topline that seals in warmth while keeping off the debris
- The extended rubber exteriors offer extra toughness and waterproof features
- They do not produce any odour after wearing for a long time
- No negative feedback recorded so far
This type of boot is called snake boots because of its ability to give protection against venomous snakes. It is made of tough and resilient qualities that provide comfort when venturing into the vipers’ habitat. It features shock resistant, durable, sturdy, and waterproof neoprene rubber built for maximum protection. Many hunters love this boot because of its 16-inch snake protection guard. The nighty degree heel makes it easier to use as it allows easy climbing and user-friendly buckle that make it easier to fit.
If comfort is your great concern, you cannot go wrong with this type of boot as the contoured section at the ankle area will hold your heel to keep it in place, thus avoiding blisters and sliding while walking. You will also enjoy the cushioning shin guard that gives extra protection and real comfort in midsoles. I highly recommend this boot as it is worth your money for its multifunctional feature.
- It is made of rubber sole to provide comfort
- Has a flexible snake guard material for protection
- Has a quick-drying polyester and moisture-wicking jersey liner
- Features multi-layered rubber on the heel and toe for durability and protection
- The full shin guard provides extra protection and durability
- The 16’’ boot opening makes it easy to wear
- The 3.55mm neoprene provides waterproof and flexibility
- It comes with an adjustable rubber gusset for easy on and off, comfortable fit on foot.
- Your feet might get chilly when used during freezing weather.
This model is an excellent example of hunting boots from the Irish Setter class. It is a great companion and a must-have hunting boots as it is made of a durable and robust sole from the hundred per cent synthetic leather. Surprisingly, it is a lightweight gear made of high-quality materials for its midsoles, exterior, and outsoles.The incorporated RPM technology protects your foot from weighing down, thus offering you the convenience and freedom required to easily venture into rugged terrains.
The best hunting boot should indeed protect against wetness and difficulty terrains that bring a tremendous attack of bacteria. The scent ban technology provides odour-causing bacteria, in the Irish setter 2875, ensuring no breeding space for bacteria. The boot also is ultra-dry and waterproof, which is a must-have feature of any right hunting boot.
- It is made of 100% synthetic and leather making it durable and strong
- It is a 17-inch boot made of full-grain waterproof leather
- It has a comfortable rubber sole
- Comes with an ultra-dry and waterproofing system
- It has a snake guard that prevent thorns, fangs, and other harmful elements from penetrating the boot
- Features an Arma Tech abrasion that provides a protective covering
- It has scent ban technology that kills odour-causing bacteria
- It made of a lightweight RPM technology
- The boots are excellent on deserts, swamps and flat land but are slick on snow.
The lacrosse Men’s Grange 18 inch hunting boots will give you the flexibility that you require when visiting the woods because a 2 inch of water in the woods can easily convert into a foot of water. Therefore it is not ideal to be wearing ankle boots when visiting such places as they can frustrate you or end your hunting even before you begin.
It becomes worse when you have to walk hard and with difficulty through the muddy terrain and falling out at the bottom. These hunting boots have you covered in such situations as they are the tallest on the market. The lacrosse 18-inch boots are relatively cheaper considering the optimal flexibility they provide.
- The 100% rubber provide waterproof features
- Features rubber sole that provides comfort
- It has a hand-laid premium that offers scent-free protection
- Comes with a multilayer rubber on the heel and toes for added durability
- The ankle fit locks the heels to prevent sliding
- It made of ribbed vamp double-layer that provides durability
- Comes with an adjustable top strap for a secure and comfortable fit
- The ZXT rubber provides extra tensile strength
- Provides constant and significant traction as the outsole lugs shed off the debris
- Made of ZXT rubber that provides scent-free protection.
- They are tight at the ankle and not easily pulled off
The Irish Setter 808 Wingshooter Waterproof Hunting Boots is a must-have for many hunters due to the quality, fair and ultradry waterproof leather that provides extra durability for its exterior. It also offers a tough protective mechanism from its shaft measuring 8.5mm and a firm sole made of rubber. It also features an easily removable polyurethane footbed for ultimate comfort in sunshine or when it is raining.
With these boots in place, you don’t need to worry about sliding or slipping in wet weather environments as they are designed for stability purposes. It offers a stiff shank made of steel and rubber soles to prevent you from sliding when walking on slippery terrains. Also, sharp objects have minimal to zero chances of piercing through with the moccasin toe in place. The Irish Setter Wingshooter Waterproof Hunting Boot protects the feet as much as the ankles making it lovable by my hunters.
- It is made of 100% leather making it durable
- Sole made of rubber to offer comfort to your feet
- Comfortable to wear as the opening measures 13 inches around
- The shaft measures 8.5 inches to make it more waterproof
- Comes with a waterproof ultra-dry technology
- It contains a removable polyurethane footbed that provides comfort in rain or sunshine
- Features a moccasin toe that prevents piercing through
- Easy to walk in as they are lightweight
- It features a stiff shank made of steel and a sole rubber that provides stability on rough grounds
- The design is attractive and stylish
- The boots range in height and insulation levels to keep you comfortable.
Lowa is a hunters and mountaineers lover and everyone else as they have been around for almost a century. The Tibet GTX Hunting Boots is their latest version of high-quality outdoor footwear.
They are stiff but soften when you wear just like any other type of great hunting boots. Also, they provide warmth, generous support, and a dry working platform. The snug fit makes you feel like they offer an extension to your feet while the Vibram sole can walk on any terrain comfortably. The rock-solid lacing, flexible ankle, and an anatomical tongue ensure that your footwear will not be something to w
- It is made of a synthetic sole, making it durable and strong.
- It has extra durability as it is made of 100% nubuck.
- Has a padded collar and tongue that provides comfort
- Comes with a heel fit and a flex fit that naturally provides comfort to the ankle
- The Vibram outsole ensures confidence when walking in any terrain surface.
- The perforated lining controls heat and moisture.
- Has a Gore-tex lining that keeps you dry and high
- Has a seamless upper that keeps you warm
- It has speed-lacing hardware and D-ring eyelets that ensures the boot does not come off.
- It is made of a Vibram outsole that lasts for a very long period.
- You have to wear them often to soften them
Hunters, farmers, or any other person who loves to walk through the wilderness find the Kamik Hunter Boot the best choice. They have a waterproof knee-high design that gives adequate protection against dirt, mud, and any other thing that you may stumble across when hunting.
Also, it ensures comfort as it controls up to 40-degree Fahrenheit rating. By this, you feel comfortable even when the mercury level drops below what may be considered normal. The removable thermal guard liner makes these boots the best choice for summer, spring, and fall expeditions without the risk of weighing you down or overheating.
- It is made of 95% rubber and 5% nylon making it waterproof
- Provides comfort ratings of 40c, which ensures total comfort
- The elongate shaft offers more protection
- It is made of a synthetic sole to give it more durability
- Has adjustable nylon collar that provides a more waterproof feature
- Has a non-marking outsole of synthetic rubber
- Has a removable thermal guard liner that ensures no weighing down or overheating.
- They are well insulated.
- No negative feedback
Factors to Consider when Choosing the Best Elk Hunting Boots: A Buyers Guide
Hunters should not undermine the importance of their hunting boots. Your boots, as well as your firearm, counts when it comes to elk hunting. It would help if you considered some of the following aspects when buying to avoid making the wrong choices.
It is normal to find that there are boots you can wear comfortably from the box, while others need break-in time to get comfortable. You should choose a boot that fits comfortably such that you can walk for long hours without discomfort or blisters.
Always try to fit with your socks on. If you usually wear heavy socks, you should not check with the thin socks as you may find that the boots do not fit comfortably.
Never underestimate good soles’ power, which offers shock absorption, stability, traction, and overall comfortability. Always balance the flexibility and strength you need when walking through uneven terrains for safety purposes.
Tread patterns and lugged shape on the soles of the boots are essential when choosing the best boot. A shallow tread may reduce mud accumulation and debris, thereby making your moves stable and comfortable.
Elk hunting happens every time, and it does not only apply to a specific period. Therefore the boots you choose should withstand harsh weather conditions for them to last long. It will save you time and money as you won’t need a new boot soon.
Always consider a hunting boot with insulation that fits the current climate. It means that you should select a lightweight insulated boot when hunting during hot months during a heavily insulated boot for cold weather hunting.
Breaking in Period
Some boots need a break-in period for you to wear them while others can wear comfortably from the box. Keep in mind that shoes are made of solid material for them to last long, and in that case, it means they need a break-in period to loosen. Always make sure you are aware of the time you need to break into the boot before buying.
Sweating is unavoidable when you cover long distances. Therefore, a hunting boot should come with air circulation mechanisms to prevent bacteria’s growth inside your boots.
Always consider the season you are in when you go to the market to buy hunting boots, as it would be necessary to consider buying two pairs of boots to accommodate temperature and other weather changes that may occur as the season progresses. Early seasons between November and December is an excellent example of expected weather changes.
You should choose the material used to make footwear so that you can avoid buying other pairs for other trips to come. The upper part should be made of high-quality material since it protects the entire foot and the ankle against abrasion from rocks, sticks, barbed wire, and thorns.
The upper part should be made of pure leather or its combination with synthetic fibre. Some are made of a blend of nylon and leather. You should choose the one made of leather as it is strong and can withstand severe weather conditions. Also, leather is a 100% waterproof material, ensuring that your feet stay dry during cold seasons.
Boots need regular cleaning, treatment, and drying, just like any other product, to extend their lifespan. Always go for the boot that requires less maintenance since you may not have enough time to care for them.