7 Best Red Dot Sight for Shotgun Deer Hunting
Red dot sights help improve a hunter’s accuracy when aiming and targeting game animals at close or long-distance range. Red dot sight allows you to lock in on your target without having to close your eyes. The target lines up correctly in the reticle.
Improved alignment and awareness
This tool balances target acquisition with precision accuracy and allows you to remain aware of your area surrounding. Red dot sighting has been around for years for both shotgun and pistols.
Most hunting enthusiasts and marksmen all over the world prefer shotguns. They have incredible versatility and are quite affordable for most people. There are many options to choose from in the market when shopping for a red dot sight for your shotgun. Some of the red dot sights in the market don’t even have red dots but are still considered RDS.
Shotguns generally are not considered ideal for long-range shooting. However, they can deliver deadly fire on moderate distances. For this reason, using a red dot sight, you can improve your shotgun precision and accuracy.
The better option
While there’re many options to choose from in the market, the most commonly used are red and green dot sights. The most popular is the red dot sight because it’s more visible in indoor and outdoor surroundings. Moreover, the green dot sight has problems working in freezing temperatures while the red dot sight works well.
Red dot sight (RDS) comes in handy when hunting for a bigger game such as deer or turkey. The red dot scope helps to project fast-moving game animals at the reticle’s center within your visual field.
There’re many factors to consider when shopping for your RDS. Here are a few things to look out for when shopping for a red dot sight.
- The quality of the lens for a crisp image
- Choose a red dot sight, not the green dot sight.
- Mounting compatibility with your iron sights
- Durability, brightness adjusting, lens size, color settings, and adjustable dot size
If you want to mount an RDS, you should consider the recoil effect. Shotguns have more recoils force compared to pistols and other lower caliber weapons. I recommend that you look for quality and durable RDS designed to withstand recoil without getting damaged.
In the list below, we’ve some of the best red dot sights in the market today. Together with their merits and demerits, it’s up to you to decide what is best for you.
Check Latest Price
It’s one of the few high-quality, low price red dot sights in the market today. It’s Famous among hunters for its quality yet low priced optics. The Bushnell TRS 25 is very compatible with shotgun hunters who love shooting from a high head position.
The Bushnell Optics TRS-25 Hirise RDS is well fitted to provide the shooter with improved peripheral vision with adjustable brightness settings to improve visibility in the outdoor environment. The matte black auto regulates light when the lens cap is on to save battery life.
The RDS is designed for easy compatibility and mounts easily on most shotguns. It also has a waterproof, shockproof capability for recoil and fog proof for better visibility during bad weather.
- Self regulates to conserve battery life
- Affordable price and high quality compared to others in the market
- Compatible with most type of shotguns
- Has adjustable brightness settings
- Designed with a shockproof, fog proof and waterproof capability
- Improved field vision
- Works better on shotguns and pistols
- You can struggle under extreme light environments.
Check Latest Price
If you are looking for combat style RDS, then this should be your selection. This lens has a bright lens function that provides the shooter with a crystal clear image, allows for a more accurate sighting making it easy to spot smaller game animals.
It comes with a quality battery that can work for a long time without fail or changing. Moreover, it’s compatible with other peripherals such as magnifiers, night vision devices, and concealers.
The scope’s housing is using hard aluminum alloy to ensure durability and for strong shotgun mounting. It comes with extra bright light adjustable settings to protect the lenses and improve the shooter’s field vision.
- design with waterproof capability of up to 25 meters
- it’s lightweight therefore adds little weight to your shotgun
- its shockproof and fog proof
- excellent visibility at low light
- extended battery life
- comes with a higher cost compared to other products in the market
Check Latest Price
Unfortunately, not everyone has stacks of cash to buy the most high-end RDS. Fortunately, you can get yourself a SIG Sauer Romeo without it costing you an arm and a leg. This RDS will give you much better service, just like the expensive ones in the market.
It has extra brightness settings for daylight and night vision with an automatic light regulator that powers down when the cap is on. Moreover, it has motion detection sensors that automatically powers whenever movement is detected.
The design comes with a Picatinny mounting feature to enable compatibility with a wide variety of shotguns. It can withstand rainwater and small puddles, but it could be damaged when submerged in water.
Its reticle has a 2 MOA (Minutes of Angle) red dot with ten illumination settings. The shooter can switch between daylight setting to night time settings with ease.
- The sight is durable
- It has a battery-saving feature
- The battery can last up to 40,000 hours of continuous use
- It’s built from a lightweight material
- Too much brightness might appear blur
4. BSA Optics 30mm Matte Black Finish Red Dot Sight RiflescopePetra by Industries, Inc. – Consumer Electronics Replen
Check Latest Price
If you have eyesight issues, you will opt for this sight. You do not need to strain your eyes to make a shot. It’s a fantastic shotgun red dot sight scope that you would wish to have.
While using the red dot and the front sight blade, the scope is easy to sight. It has a big red dot to enable you to hit the targets without any challenge. It’s made from lightweight material that is compatible withsmall caliber firearms.
BSA Optics 30mm Matte Black is very much affordable compared to other similar products in the market. The scope is quite durable, so if you’re looking for something long-lasting, this is your choice.
It’s effortless to adjust the brightness settings even to those who have eye difficulty to get the best alignment. If you are shopping for an RDS that’s pocket friendly and yet does the job well,get the BSA Optics 30mm Matte Blackto finish red dot sight.
- It’s precise, efficient and price-friendly
- The red dot is easy to see
- Contains long battery life and easy to change
- Has an adjustable mounting system that is easy to mount
- It is easy to use and adjust, thus able to focus on the spot you are aiming at
- The sight is made of good quality material
- It is shockproof and waterproof, thus offering enough protection to the hunter
- It offers a transparent transmission, and one can stay or stick on a point
- Might not work well for any firearm that has a recoil of more than 22.”
Check Latest Price
It’s a compelling sight that is effective and efficient in its performanceprovidedby its 2 MOA red dot ten illuminating settings that can be easily switched to eight daylight settings plus two-night settings, enabling visibility in any environmental condition.
It’s made of durable materials, very appealing to any hunter. One glance at this scope can make you yearn to have one. It is made of aluminum design, which is sturdy, thus providing peak performance and serves for a more extended period without being damaged.
Its spectra coat is highly efficient and offers an anti-reflection lens that ensures superior transmission. It is also designed with a stealth ID that breaks the shape of the object and offers clear visibility.
Having an ultra-low parallax ensures that you aim to the exact point while shooting and also ensures that the red dot remains parallel to the bore. While using this RDS, you can easily adjust the elevation and the windage. It offers the right field of view regardless of where you mount it.
TheSig Sauer Romeo5 1x20mm Compact 2 Moa Red Dot Sight, Black, is compatible with most firearms. It comes with an M1913 Picatinny low mount together with a co-witness 1.41.
- Contains ten illumination settings that visibility in all light conditions
- Made of dependable waterproof material and offers fog-proof performances
- Offers long battery life while in use
- It is lightweight hence easy to carry
- Contains an integrated M1913 Picatinny interface that provides a standard mounting option
- The red dot is crisp and bright and provides an exact working and a standard experience
- Might blur when the brightness is high
Check Latest Price
Almost all the Marksmen are familiar with the Aimpoint Micro H-2 Red Dot Reflex Sight because it provides a fantastic outlook. It has an advanced objective lens that provides the shooter with a clear and sharp image with unmatched optical clarity.
It comes with a unique and exciting housing design to improve the shooter’s experience and protect the lens system from damage. This RDS contains outstanding features like the expensive red dot that focuses on a 2 MOA dot.
Aimpoint Micro H-2 Red Dot Reflex Sightoffers 12 brightness settings plus it also has an extra brightness that ensures the shooter has a clear focus on the target and a clear field of vision. The advanced lens systemprevents the shooter from losingfocus on the target, especially when the sun rays are bright.
The lens system is designed with a thermoplastic elastomer that is of great benefit and durability. Moreover, RDS housing is constructed with high strength aluminum thatis waterproof and shockproof.
- Offers very excellent visibility in low light
- It has an extended battery life that can work for five years long hours without failure
- Comes with Picatinny mounting system together with a weaver rail easily adjustable to the position that is suitable for you
- It is waterproof thus offers enough protection in rainy seasons
- The unit offers 12 brightness settings and a night vision compatibility
- It’s designed with the shockproof capability to protect against recoil
- It contains an advanced objective lens system that offers better light transmission and image clarity
- The Aimpoint Micro H-2 Red Dot Reflex Sight mount comes with a 39mm removable spacer
- It’s a pocket-friendly quality RSD
- They provide fast shipping and delivery.
- None recorded yet
Factors to Consider when Choosing the Best Red Dot Sight for Shotgun Deer Hunting: A Buyers Guide
There are many benefits that come with mounting a red dot sight onto your shot gun from rapid target acquisition to shooting with precision. An RDS is the perfect tool for every shotgun hunter out there.
Shotguns are highly versatile and very affordable firearm options for all kind of hunters including buck hunters or ducks. There are many red dot sights in the market so it could be confusing for you to select the one that suits you.
Below are some of the things you need to consider before you choose your preferred red dot sight. Use the below list to make sure you get the right RDS compatible with your hunting rifle.
Whenchoosing a red dot sight for your shotgun, the RDS used is supposed to be made of quality material and has a shockproof capability to handle recoil forces. It has been proven that shotguns have more recoil force compare to other lower caliber firearm.
Therefore, make sure you get your shotguna durable red dot sight to ensure that your red dot sight can absorb the recoil without losing its functionality or prevent the sight’s lens from getting damaged.
Design and quality
As you go to purchase your shotgun, remember there are different designs. Don’t rush to pick the one that attracts your eyes. Ensure that the sights are made of stable materials like aluminum. It should also be waterproof to withstand the rainy seasons. What of the glasses? They should be designed in a way that they will not be affected by low temperatures.
Manufactures use MOA (minutes of angle) to list the dot size with the current versions measuring 2-5 MOA. A smaller red dot covers less of the target than the larger one; the smaller dots are mainly for long distance targets.
Always remember that you are the boss of your pocket. Do not buy what your friend has because he loves it. Buy the RDS for your shotgun that you can easily afford. However, don’t compromise on quality. It might be cheap but of moderate quality. Make the right decision depending on the features you need on your shotgun before purchasing one.
Most red dot sights come with a Picatinny or Weaver-style kind of mount. Ensure that the mounting, especially the cradle, is very much reliable for your sight.Many red dot sights are designed to work in a co-witnessing setup with iron sights.depend on your view. You can as well buy it separately.
The lenses and reticle style
The lenses should always have a clear picture of what you want to shoot. Their size and quality also impact performance. Therefore, they must have Ia Iclear light transmission capability. The red dot should have a high aiming power injunction to hit the target.